Why did you leave religion?
- The Problem of Suffering 219 (30%)
- Science Based Reasoning 440 (62%)
- The Problem of Religious Diversity 231 (32%)
- The Far-Fetched Nature of Miracles 220 (31%)
- The Barbaric God of the Bible 241 (33%)
- The Misogynist Nature of the Bible 162 (22%)
- Racism and Slavery in the Bible 153 (21%)
- Philosophical Problems With God Concepts 304 (42%)
- Doubts About the Existence of Jesus 119 (16%)
- Biblical Archaeology 134 (18%)
- The General Unreliability of the Bible 311 (43%)
- Jesus Did Not Come Back as Promised 75 (10%)
- Sinners go to Hell 173 (24%)
- Pedophile Priests & Huckster Preachers 99 (13%)
- Never Believed n the First Place 107 (15%)
My first thought was that the choices are awfully Christianity-centric – but then again, given the name of the site, that makes sense!
It is too bad that it's not a multiple-choice poll, as I expect many people will have left for combined reasons. (EDIT: Looks like it is multiple choice after all, or was switched to such partway through, per mention of a poll revision.) Still, I went ahead and cast my lot, though I had to think a bit; my ideal response isn't there. My deconversion wasn't so much a matter of finding specific problems arguing against religion or doctrine, per most of the above; rather, the biggest push came from the simple realization that I didn't see positive reasons arguing for religion and doctrine.
In short, "lack of evidence" would be my ideal response. I ended up going with #2 (Science Based Reasoning) as the closest to that. Good enough.
How about you? Go cast your stone – and if you like, leave a message here telling why you decamped.